Tuesday, September 7, 2010

New Technology is awesome!

For most people you only get relay excited during the Christmas season. The feeling you get opening something up and setting it up, or using it for the first time. Well I get that feeling every time I get a new tech toy and gadget!

I am now the proud owner of a super fast DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola modem. I upgraded from my old rented modem from my ISP for the past several months. I will say this. I should have put the money towards buying my own modem right from the start. I could have put that money to my new one. Something to think about. If you are renting a modem, that money could go and buy a modem that you can then sell later, if you ever leave or cancel your internet connection. If your renting, thats money gone, and you can't sell your modem later.

Thats settled now, moving on to the good stuff. So my new modem has boosted my overall speed performance for my home network. I have gained a increace to an average of 7 Mbps (Mega Bits per second) Now for most people that is something you would never even know happend. What I mean is, the average home user is paying for a 1Mbps to 5 Mbps connection. Some might have a 10Mbps, but even with a relitivly fast connection most home users only have a basic low level wireless / wired network at home. This would be discribed as a wireless B or G network. Wireless B, 802.11b, is only 11 Mbps. This works fine for checking e-mail and reading online posts. Wireless G, 802.11g, will output 54 Mbps. This will do all of what I listed already, and this will alow youtube and video streaming. Now I say this will alow, but it will be hit and miss. You will start a video but it will stop and need to buffer (load more video or data) more of the video before playback continues. This is what people refer to as freezing or even crashing of the video. This is not the case, the cause is the speed of the wifi connection, as well as the speed you are getting from your ISP. The third wireless standard is wireless N, 802.11n, This is the fastest wifi speed that the public can use. This speed is roughly 300 Mbps. Some routers will say 300+300 this means that there are two bands or signals being used to brodcast the 300 Mbps speeds more reliably.

The other very cool thing I now get to call my own is.......  A shiny new Bluetooth Logitech keyboard for my PS3. This thing is great. When I am using the web and searching things this makes it so easy. I also have a fast and great way to send messages through the friends chat online. Yeah this might be over kill but it is something that makes life just a little cooler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment